Thursday, January 29, 2009

Green Fruit

My last post focused on wanting to work on my "Fruits of the Spirit". Yes, I know that the intent of the verse is that as my walk with God grows stronger, these fruits will become more and more evident. However, I don't think it's a bad thing to pick a fruit (no pun intended) and focus on putting that trait into every aspect of my life.

Last week was love. Sounds fairly easy, doesn't it? I made an effort to focus more on my wife this week, as well as spending more time talking to the kids and hugging them. In doing that, I realized that it takes a minimal effort to show love to someone that we really do love. Yes, there are times where either the wife or the kids may get on my nerves, but there's a core love there that never goes away, no matter what. The effort this week came in working through those times of irritation without them losing sight of the fact that they are loved. It was a part of my week that made me think a few times, but never really seemed altogether difficult.

The challenge really lies in showing love to those for you are not particularly attached to. My life outside of the home primarily revolves around my work. In my job, I supervise 60+ people. Some I interact with on a daily basis, others I may see only once or twice a week. In retail, there is always more to be done than time to do it in, so the stress level can be high at times. Add to that a steady stream of customers, and it can easily lead to a crankiness that flows over all like a fog. I thought of that first fruit - love - as I went through my week. I tried to focus on listening more and talking less; on being compassionate as they shared their concerns; and reacting to their needs promptly. I'd love to be able to give a glowing report of how I changed my world for the better, but I found my self groaning afterwards as I handled yet another situation with less than a loving attitude. I found that there is a special skill and effort needed in loving those you do not have that emotional attachment to, and that I will need to continue to work on it!

It does make me grateful that "..God put his love on the line for us by offering his Son in sacrificial death while we were of no use whatever to him." (Romans 5:8, The Message). He had no reason to love us, and yet He still gave up his son for us. I have done nothing to deserve His love for me, and nothing to deserve the sacrifice He made for me. And yet, in love He gave of Himself. As Max Lucado has said, no wonder they call Him the Savior.

This week: JOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment