Saturday, June 24, 2017

A Legacy of Music...and Faithfulness

It seems that music has always been a part of my life, and my mom has played a large part in that. Some of my earliest memories revolve around being at church, listening as my mom played for Sunday morning singing, accompanying a choir or soloist, or providing music as the communion or offering was passed. She also taught piano and organ, and that time between school ending and dinner was often filled with mom patiently working with each student; some destined to become fantastic musicians in their own right, others that would rather be anywhere but stuck behind a keyboard.

As a young boy, I always took mom's gift for granted. As I grew older, I paid more attention to the comments others made about her playing. Many commented on her song selections, and how they always seemed to perfectly fit the moment. Music leaders loved her ability to play anything, and shift keys when needed. Soloists and Choir Directors loved her ability to support what they were trying to convey with a great touch of feeling and dynamics. It was said by many that she was their first choice when they needed a piano or organ player.

She did try a few times to teach me to play the piano, but never was able to pass that gift on. When I had the opportunity to learn another instrument, she encouraged me, and took me to pick out my first trumpet. As my skill level grew, she continued to support me. Occasionally after dinner, I'd pull out my horn and she would play. We'd journey through the hymnbook, old favorites and ones that seemed obscure. She'd pull out music from her teaching: pop songs that her students had learned, trumpet solos that I had picked up along the way. We'd play until my lips grew tired.

Once Ginger and I married and our lives moved on, the opportunities to hear mom play were few and far between. She continued to teach for a number of years, and played the piano and organ at a number of churches, continuing to share the gift that God had given her. However, as she and dad's health has declined over the years, the time came for them to move to a place where they could receive more hands-on care. We felt fortunate that we were able to find a place where she could still keep her baby grand piano with her. Soon she was blessing the other residents with her music. One day this past winter, the power went out for a number of hours. She opened the door to her room, and played for a while, letting the music ring up and down the halls - continuing to bless others.

In the last few weeks, her health has brought us to the point where she needs to be in a place where she can receive more specialized and constant care. Sadly, this means leaving the baby grand piano behind. Today, I am meeting with professional piano movers as they pack it up and take it to her church, where hopefully it can continue to be used to bless others as they worship the Lord.

When the day came for mom to transition to her new living space, my sister asked if mom would like to sit down at her piano one last time to play. She hesitated, but then sat down and played one last song from memory...


My apologies for the shakiness of the video, but it's hard to hold your phone steady as the tears roll down your cheeks. Similar those that see their life flash before their eyes in the face of oncoming disaster, a flood of memories washed over me as I watched mom play. Memories of a life using the gifts and talents God had given her, giving them back to him in service. Knowing that my desire to do the same comes in great deal from her. Her quiet way of service to Him has taught me more than a thousand lessons or lectures ever could. Great Is Thy Faithfulness, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment